Thursday, June 21, 2007

So who what or where is Bois Y Cilie

In my desperate desire to have a "privacy preserving" pen name I plumped for something that meant something to me.
I'm sure that's what most people do; to pick some thing significant to them and perhaps something that they hope might appeal to like minded people.

Of course people make the mistake of thinking there are like minded people or that there are people that care or take an interest.

Still that doesn't bother me so allow me to bore you with an explanation of who Bois Y Cilie were and you never know in some dim and distance galaxy someone might be vaguely interested ...

If you siarad y iaith then you can take a look at the welsh wicipedia: http://cy.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bois_y_Cilie but for everyone else let me tell you more.

The Cilie family was a famous family of poets, farmers and sailors who lived in and around Cwm Tydu in Ceredigion in West Wales in the 19th and 20th century. Ceredigion for those who don't know is a county in the West of Wales that faces out across Cardigan bay towards Ireland. Cwm Tudu is a beautiful unassuming village in Cardigan bay not too far away from Llangrannog. If you like West Wales then you'll like Cwm Tydu but if you don't well then lets stop here and you can go back to your store card, diet coke and stepomatic; you'll be much happier.

For those remaining, the Bois or Boys were/are:

  • Jeremiah Jones (1855 - 1902)
  • Fred Jones (1877 - 1948)
  • Dafydd Jones (Isfoel)
  • John Jones (Tydu) (1883 - 1968)
  • Evan George Jones (Sioronwy) (1892 - 1953)
  • Simon Bartholomew Jones
  • Alun Cilie

Despite arguably humble beginning All the bois possessed considerable literary talent and were both prolific in their work and well regarded in print and eisteddfodau. So successful were they that they apparently gave recitals to then Royal family. Not sure where I read that but I do wonder what either party thought of one another though.

Supposedly somewhere down on the rocks in Cwm tydu beach there's a rock where each of the bois carved their name.

In recent times the descendents of the Bois Y Cilie have been equally famous and include the likes of the folk singer and politician Dafydd Iwan and the actor Huw Ceredig who played Fatty Lewis in Twin town.

So to me to sum it all up the Bois Y Cillie represent the links between art, beauty, nature, family ,peace, politics and being good at things without forgetting your roots. Isn't that a good enough reason?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Cwmtydu said...

The rock is there. My grandfather carved his initials in it and I climbed up to it many times when I was a child. It is called "Craig yr Enwau." In case you are not aware 2 books have been published in Welsh, one entitled "Bois y Cilie and the other "Morwyr y Cilie." Naturally I am extremely proud of my bardic ancestors and remember some of them.There were sisters too - they were 13 siblings.

7:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home