Thursday, June 21, 2007

To blog

It's been nearly two years since I set up this blog and I'm ashamed to say I think I now understand the purpose of blogging. It wasn't that I didn't get the principals of it I just wasn't atuned to it.

I was previously too concerned that anything I wrote needed to be profound, discrete and preserved my privacy. As a consequence I never felt I could write anything - and I couldn't understand the point of creating web content hidden deep in the depths of the web that no one ever bothered to read.

However the reality is that the purpose of a blog is principally to serve the needs of the author whatever they may be.

The 2 years has seen quite a change in what the web is, almost all things point to web 2.0 and social networking has come of age - with even members of the British Royal family having facebook accounts.

I think I've moved on too. 2 years ( okay 20 months) ago I was deeply worried about friends and colleagues who compromised themselves or others through their thought provoking and arguably libelous posts.

I guess this made me anxious and hesitant. I still have concerns about privacy and the ease with which a pretty comprehensive record of personal data can be assimilated by malicious folk using blogs, and social networking sites. In many ways this is a shame and perhaps we should point the finger elsewhere - for example the banks with their typically inane list of security questions they ask:

"What was your mother's maiden name?"
"Where were you born?"
"What was your first school?"

Call me paranoid but this last one even deters me from linking in with my old schools at the expense of not rekindling old friendships. [ huh - who am I kidding everyone I knew at schools was a shmuk and to them I'm sure I was a knob] . Whatever the point remains the same.

So this is a new begining, a new blogistance, like most things I'm going to take it slowly and may be in another 2 years time I'll have opened up and left my bank details in a blog entry.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home